Saturday, January 17, 2009

Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of None?


I've always considered myself a Jack-of-all-Trades, but a master of none. I have purposely tried to walk a fine line between business and technology. That's one reason I chose to pursue an MBA instead of just another certification. It gives me portability beyond just IT, as well as better upward mobility on the corporate latter.

I also think being well rounded allows me to act as a better SOLUTION Architect. Having been a programmer, a DBA, a systems engineer, a network administrator, a trainer, and a manager ... I tend to look at problems differently than others that may be more specialized that I am. I take more a holistic approach.

However, for all the positives this may present, there are negatives. I find that when pressed with high-level problems to solve, I tend to lean toward a "working solution" versus a true root cause analysis. Although this usually suffices, some problems do creep back up. The problem is, there are many issues that are simply beyond me. Granted, I can troubleshoot and Google with the best of us ... but if I were more specialized, perhaps I would be faster to the fix.

That being said, I have found myself over the past several years focusing more and more on server-based computing ... thus this blog. I've been managing Citrix systems for about 7 years now ... ranging from Metaframe XP up through XenApp 5.0. During this time, I have also examined MS Terminal Services 2000, 2005, and 2008; as well as Ericom PowerConnect, 2X, and (Quest) Provision Networks.

During this same time, I've seen my SQL and Programming skills wane. I try to keep up, but not at the same level. If you don't do it everyday, its hard to stay current on the latest techniques. I'd be happy to write sql queries and do database and table design... but I would not be the candidate for enterprise grade optimization.

I've backed into Systems from Programming/DBA work... where once I considered my self merely an admin and not an engineer, I fully embrace myself as an Engineer now. Even so, I try not to lock myself too tightly into one technology or service. Each to their own... but I find I work best when wearing multiple hats.

All of this works great in a corporate environment, where we are expected to wear many hats, and perform multiple roles. Especially in a down economy, most technology departments expect their staff to do more with less. Now, as a consultant, you are expected to be the top of your game... if you bring in a database guru, do you care if they know the OS?

For me, I'll keep going with the flow... if it leads to a true specialty, so be it. For now, I'm happy where I am and what I do. What about you?

For other thoughts, check Computer Contractors - Does it Pay to Specialize, by Joshua Feinberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment