Thursday, January 15, 2009

Degree vs. Certification


A common question in IT is, which is better -- a certification or a degree? Unfortunately, there is no right answer. In my mind, it is a combination of both... but mostly is about whether you can do the job or not. Personally, I have a double master's degree (MBA, MS IT), but very few certs (A+, MCP). I chose to focus on college and project management, and have found little need for industry certs. I fill the role of a Sr. Systems Engineer... even though I may not be an MCSE, go figure!

When I was in college, I questioned my COBOL professor why I was even in school, learning either dead languages or items that would be obsolete by the time I graduated. He told me the degree showed both a commitment as well as a foundation of knowledge companies would look for. I understand that now, but still do not completely agree.

When looking at hiring managers, I've meet certification snobs, degree snobs, and those who focus solely on skills/roles. I personally do not put a lot of stock in either degrees or certs when I am hiring ... simply for the reason those are only pieces of paper.


The Certification Snob. I had an encounter a few years ago in a training class. An individual was in Product Management, and had worked at IBM for 20+ years. He was contemplating MBA or MCSE. I felt neither would add anything he did not already have, but between the two, I felt MBA was better from a marketing/sales perspective. Another attendee vehemently disagreed. When he heard I was only A+, he told me I was not qualified to do my job...


The Degree Snob. Another encounter I had was as a hiring manager. Another up level manager's first question was "What degree does the candidate have..." Nevermind the person had 15 years in the industry and was highly recommended, if there was no degree, he had no interest. The lack of a four year degree was a deal breaker, and the search went on...


Beware of Blank Paper! Even if someone has a degree or a certification, it does not make them qualified. I have personally seen MBA's who could not do simple math or have an intelligent conversation. I've also had Cisco Network Engineers who could not implement a new router on a new T1 circuit. The paper only means they have passed the necessary assignments or tests, it does not mean they really know what they are doing...


So, which one? The true answer, is "It Depends." It depends on your background, your skills, your time table, and the company's needs. I recommend:
Get a cert when... your company will pay for training and tests (but not college classes), you need a rapid resume or job boost, you already have the degree, want to specialize/focus in specific technologies
Get a degree when... your company has a tuition program (take advantage), you are looking for long term, you do not want to pidgeon-hole yourself in a specific technology, prefer to work in theories and general concepts

Andy Says... Get Both. The investment in time and money will pay off in the long run.


Other reading. For more information, check out this article from Greg Shields over at WindowsServer.com. Also, Vault has a nice comparative analysis here.

1 comment:

  1. I have run into the same situation. I have two degrees an associates in art and science and a BS in IT Management. I have been working as local support for 3 years, during which time I compelte my BS. But when my company merged adn the IT structure change, ie new management I was told that in order to justify my increase in pay my degrees weren't good enough. So I had to start working towards my A+, MCP, MSCE and complete CCNA. Dont't get me wrong the pay jumps have been great but damn, if I had know this I would have done a few things differently the last few years.
    Harley

    ReplyDelete